Monday, August 20, 2012

Holo Month Day 6: Layla Mermaid Spell (and comparison)

After purple holos, blues are my next favourite so it's no surprise how much I love Mermaid Spell! As with all the other Layla Holograms, this light blue holographic polish is crazy holo. It's the smooth linear kind, much like the Nfu Oh and Make Up Store holos but not a fine/smooth as the China Glaze OMGs.

This is three coats of Mermaid Spell and all pictures were taken under my table lamp.











No matter how many holographic polishes I own, I can never get enough and I will never get sick of tilting my hand at all sorts of angles (especially when the sunlight hits) to see the holographic rainbow shining through!

The only other light blue holo polish I have is OPI DS Sapphire and it was the first DS polish I bought. As you can see, DS Sapphire has a different kind of holographic effect, similar to the kind you would get with Spectraflair. The particles are much bigger and the holo effect less obvious but the rainbow does tend to appear more vibrant. Colour-wise, DS Spphire is a much cooler and paler shade of blue than Mermaid Spell.

This is three coats of each polish, taken under my table lamp.



Another thing I just noticed about DS Sapphire is the subtle purple sheen that can be seen only at certain angles. It's not very obvious but if you look closely at my middle finger nail, you can see that ever-so-subtle sheen right down the middle.


The next two pictures were taken under sunlight (yes, the sun finally came out).




Now you can see how holo DS Sapphire really is! It also appears to be closer in colour to Mermaid Spell under strong sunlight. I guess the holographic particles took over and the base colour had to take the back seat.

If you're loving Mermaid Spell, stay tuned for my review of Ocean Spell, coming up next! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment