Sunday, August 26, 2012

China Glaze Wicked Collection Halloween 2012

Hello my fellow polish lovers! I'm interrupting Holo Month to present you with quick swatches of the entire China Glaze Wicked Halloween 2012 collection!



Living in Singapore, my family and neighbourhood didn't really celebrate Halloween and I was so bummed because as a kid, I know I would have enjoy all the candy "treats"!

Honestly, I never thought much about the history of Halloween until I watch an episode of Supernatural, which featured the very Sam Hain that Halloween is all about. I guess they changed and glorified things in the show, as they got someone to actually portray Sam Hain, to tell the story of Halloween but in truth, Samhain is a Gaelic harvest festival that has also been associated with All Saints' Day.

Ahhh, how I digressed! You can read up more on Samhain here if you're interested!

Moving on to swatches! :)

First up is Bizarre Blurple, which is a duochrome shade that has a more evident blue to purple shift in the bottle than on the nails.



On the nail, Bizarre Blurple is a subtle shimmery shade that reminds me of Mickey Mouse's pointy hat in Fantasia! I did pay more attention with the application of Bizarre Blurple as this one seemed to leave evidence of your brush strokes.



This was two coats. As you can see, the purple shift can't really be seen on the nails! :(



Here's another bottle shot to show you that it does shift to purple. It really is a beauty in the bottle!



Next up, we have Cast A Spell, an olive green polish with gold and the occasional red glitter swimming inside.



This polish does remind me of OPI At Your Que-bec and Call, except with glitter instead of shimmer. Needless to say, as a green polish lover, I love this baby but admittedly, this isn't a revolutionary colour. Cast A Spell was quite pigmented and this was two coats.



You *have* to click on the pictures to enlarge them and see how purdy the glitters are!



What can I say about Immortal? Boy, I wasn't expecting to LOVE this grey polish so much. The subtle blue and pink shimmers had me at the get-go!



Immortal seemed quite runny in the bottle but I managed to get it opaque in two coats. Perhaps it's because I barely have any white parts to my nails so the VNL isn't as obvious?



I don't own any shimmery grey polish so this one's a good addition to the family! :)



Moving on to the only creme of the entire collection, here we have Roguish Red, an extremely bright (read: almost screaming neon) orange.



Roguish Red was so bright it scared my camera a little. Formula-wise, this was my least favourite among the bunch. The first coat applied really nicely but somehow, upon applying the second coat, it got a little goopy and didn't self-level, which then called for a third coat to even things out. Colour-wise, this one does remind me of the orange polish from OPI's Holland collection, A Roll In The Hague.



GLITTER TIME! The moment I saw the promo pics for this collection, I thought to myself "Hmmmm, could this be a Spellbound dupe?"

Sadly, Glitter Goblin isn't a dupe for Spellbound but it's still a very pretty polish no less!





It has orange and silver holographic bits in it and you can cover your entire nail with three coats.



Glitter-packed polishes tend to be more goopy than regular polishes and this one is no execption. I'd suggest waiting a little longer between each coat for this polish to avoid making a mess.



Here we have one coat of Glitter Goblin over Roguish Red. I love how this turned out!





Last but not least, we have Make A Spectacle, a polish with irridescent glitters in a clear base. The way the irridescent bits shift to blue and purple reminds me of Nubar 2010!



Here it is on its own. This was three coats.



I love how the larger hexes and smaller glitter bits make the polish look more multi-dimensional!



Are you thinking what I'm thinking B1?

I think I am B2!

So before you ask, here's a bottle comparison of Snow Globe (left) and Make A Spectacle (right).



The first difference is that Snow Globe has a wamer base colour but seeing how we'd normally be layering these two over darker shades, this difference isn't gonna be that obvious.

What you should note is that Snow Globe's glitter particles are more similar in size whereas Make A Spectacle has the larger hex and way more smaller glitter bits. I can assure you that the two are very different on the nails. You can hop over to A Lacquered Affair's awesome and very detailed post to see a comparison swatch!

Final thoughts:
I have to say, Immortal really stole the show for me. I wasn't expecting it to be so pretty and despite it's slightly running formula, it still applied wonderfully!
So, do you guys have any favourites from this collection?
-----
Holo Month will resume as per normal after this post but since I'll be starting work tomorrow *SIGH*, I can't be updating this place every day as I did with the Layla Hologram series. I'll try to do around three posts a week so that another nine holo posts (at least) for the rest of HOLO MONTH!! :)

3 comments:

  1. yay, i'm glad i asked you to help me purchase Immortal! looks like it's a good buy =)=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeahh, it's really pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A full collection swatch! Yay! And thanks for the mention ;)

    ReplyDelete