Saturday, January 7, 2012

OPI Nicki Minaj Swatches and Comparisons

Taking a day's break from the 31 Day Challenge to bring you swatches and comparisons for the OPI Nicki Minaj collection while the launch is still hot on its heels. I did these swatches at BHG and just stood there painting my nails while two other ladies painted theirs too! HAHA! So I didn't feel as guilty being so thick skinned!

I had to photoshop the colours to correct them to as accurate as they are because Fly just refused to come out looking aqua.



From thumb to pinkie: Fly, Did It On 'Em, Metallic 4 Life, Pink Friday and Save Me. All the swatches were done with 2 coats.

I've "stolen" a few pictures from other blogs that I think are the most accurate out there.


(Photo credit)

Fly is a gorgeous aqua that covered well in 2 coats. It is unlike any polish I own. Here are the closest colours I have in my stash:



Fly is on my thumb and from top to bottom on the nail wheel, China Glaze Flyin' High, Couleur Inc Grus 106 and Sally Hansen Fairy Teal. The moment I saw the promo pics, I really wanted to know how close Flyin' High is and no one has compared the two so far so I really wanted to know! Flyin' High is so much bluer and dustier, while Grus is so much greener. Fairy Teal was the closest but it was a shade darker so no dupes here. From other swatches I've seen, Fly is close to China Glaze Towel Boy but Towel Boy has a subtle shimmer to it so they're not really dupes either. I really love Fly a lot and even though I have so many similar colours, I really feel the need to get a full sized bottle.


(Photo credit)

Did It On 'Em can be described as a chartreuse and from the swatches I have seen, it sits nicely between Who The Shrek Are You and Fiercely Fiona. I have neither of the two so I'm gonna compare it to the only chartreuse shade I have, Essence Lime Up!



I'm glad to say the two are REALLY close and Essence only costs $2.80! I'm so happy I picked it up before it all sold out! Lime Up is a tiny tiny bit duller but I'm sure if I do a normal-person test (i.e. asking a normal non-polish addict if they can tell the difference between the two polishes), they wouldn't be able to tell the two apart so I'm gonna call this one a dupe! That said, I still think I'm gonna get a full sized bottled because I love how unique the shade is and my Essence bottle is only 5ml!


(Photo credit)

Metallic 4 Life is a polish with multi-sized hexagonal and round glitter suspended in a grey jelly base. I did two coats in my swatch (first picture) but it could have used another coat. The tester bottle I used had a goopy consistency but I'm not sure if it's because the polish was originally like that, or got that way due to people opening the bottle and painting their nails in the shop but the consistency made it hard for me to control the glitter particle which was why I only got hexagonal glitters on the right side of my nail. But it should most probably be me because most swatches I've seen online, including the one above has a pretty even spread of glitter. I really liked this one and I think I'm gonna get a full sized bottle of this baby too!


(Photo credit)

Pink Friday is a bright, bubblegum pink creme polish and although in the swatch above, it has Deborah Lippmamm Candy Shop layered on top, the pink you see in the picture is what Pink Friday looks like. It's not quite Barbie pink but it's still VERY pink and girly and just not my cup of tea. That being said, I know a couple of girls who would fall head over heels in love with this shade so it depends on your polish taste. I'm just not a pink polish person. That's all.


(Photo credit)

Last but not least, we have Save Me, which has blue and holographic bar glitters, and smaller silver round glitters. I think it's meant to be worn as a glitter top coat but if you do 3 coats, you can wear it on its own. This is a very unique polish because so far, we haven't seen a lot of bar glitter polishes arounds but I'm just not feeling it so I'll probably pass on this one too.

Now, I didn't try the purple shatter because frankly, I'm kinda over the shatter trend and I've got enough shatter polishes to last me my lifetime but from what I know, it is a glittery shatter and is redder than most purple shatters out there so if you're a die hard shatter fan, you'll probably want it!

I hope the swatches and comparisons have been useful in helping you decide which polishes to get, if you're intending to save some money and get the ones you liked! Me? I'll probably get Fly, Metallic 4 Life and if I can afford it, Did It On 'Em.

No comments:

Post a Comment