Friday, September 2, 2011

Magazine Nails: August

I was flipping through the August issues of Elle and Cleo magazines and I found a couple of interesting nail features/pictures I thought I'd share! You can click to enlarge all the pictures!



This is the Elle cover and look at her nails!



Close up of her nails! I love how they gave her a funky coloured french mani instead of the blah pink base and white tip ones. I was pretty interested in the colours they used so I flipped away to find out more and guess what?



They apparently used OPI Yodel Me on My Cell and Ski Teal We Drop and the problem is, they both don't look like they're supposed to on the cover! I think this is a classic case of too much photoshop! I'd be really bummed if I saw what I liked on the cover, went online and spreed they two polishes without doing my research and then be totally bummed that they don't look like the colours on the cover at all. But I guess it serves you right if you don't do your homework before buying!

Anyways, Elle had a little additional beauty booklet and they had a small nail feature inside!



I love how they featured green / turquoise polishes! I even went to check out the Uslu Airlines nail polish at A Curious Teepee and oh, I'm so tempted to get two shades but they're $38 each!! :(



They even gave suggestions on how to match your crackle polishes with different base colours! Thought this might be useful! I think I Vant to be a Lone Star will look fab with Navy Shatter on top!

And for the final picture from Elle, I saved the best for last!



They friggin used Chanel polishes for this spread!!! I guess they had to use more expensive polishes to compliment the expensive jewels (the feature was actually on jewels) but c'mon! You're wasting good polish here! One bottle of Mimosa, Pulsion / Rose Insolent and Black Pearl (I'm only guessing at the colours, don't quote me please)! But I guess the artistic value to them should triump over the cost any time right?

Moving on to Cleo, there wasn't much nail pictures, let alone interesting ones something did catch my attention!



I love the half-moons they did and the colour combination was so rad too!



They used OPI Need Sunglasses and Mavala Smoky Blue in case you're wondering! I like how they used the yellow as a base for the half-moons because yellow can be quite a hard colour (read: too bold / attention grabbing) to pull off so pairing it with a darker blue seems like a perfect way to tone it down a little and glam it up! I might try this combination the next time I do half-moons!

I hope you guys liked this entry! I thought it was kinda cool to flip through magazines for nail ideas! It's kinda sad though, that magazines don't have a dedicated polish section. Let me know if you want to see more of such "magazine ideas" and I can flip through my 2 year catalogue of Cleo magazines and scout out interesting pictures! Of course I'll continue buying the new issues and can share stuff from there too!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, please do share if you come across pretty nail designs! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought the new Elle and Fann Wong's nails are damn interesting! Will be sharing it soon! Oh, I also sent you a private message regarding the bottles and asking you if you're interested in anything from the US! Do reply soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I hate it when magazines photoshop too much... But the mani looked really interesting, I feel like trying it out myself:) I like painting my nails in different ways, I have made a post about one look, since the blog is new. But would you maybe like to check it out and follow? I'm following your blog, like it;)
    xx Lily
    http://fashionlily.onsugar.com/category/nails

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followed your blog! I love your white neon spash nails! (:

    ReplyDelete