Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Polish Days: Jelly Sandwich

Today is...



JELLY SANDWICH DAY! Happy Jelly Sandwich Day to all!

The first thought that came to mind when I heard Jelly Sandwich was a PBJ sandwich but that's not what I'll be showing you today! HAHA!

A jelly sandwich in manicure terms refers generally to sandwiching a glitter/flakie polish between layers of jelly (or sorbet, yes, I'm refering to you, OPI!) polish. As a result of the glitter/flakie polish having another coat of jelly polish on top of it, it isn't as bling as it normally would be, creating a softer, more subtle effect that many (including myself) have come to love!

I also realised that doing a jelly sandwich is a GREAT way to wear the louder glitter polishes you have in your collection to work if your office has a strict dress code (like mine does)! SCORE!

What I have here, is two coats of Essie Not Just A Pretty Face (a sheer pink) over one coat of NailTek Foundation II. I find that whenever I'm going to be painting a sheer polish, using the NailTek base coat helps the polish to apply less streakily and helps the colour to come out better, with less coats. I know, I know, there are still streaks in my swatch below, but seriously, Essie's super anorexic brush wasn't helping. Further, we'll be covering the streaks up with pretty glitters so it won't be too obvious in the end! :)



And then, I painted one coat of Revlon Whimsical (the Deborah Lippmann Glitter In The Air dupe). I love how because the base of Whimsical is a sheer blue, it changes the base colour of Not Just a Pretty Face to a paler, softer colour!



I then painted another coat of Not Just a Pretty Face over, followed by another coat of Whimsical and a final coat of Not Just A Pretty Face (again) to complete the entire Jelly Sandwich!



This is with a coat of SV on top to seal everything in. See how pretty and demure the mani looks? Normally I wouldn't dream of wearing a blue glitter polish to work but now I can, all thanks to the wonder that is the jelly sandwich!



Here's one more picture for the road! It's absolute love for me!



In fact, I was loving the Jelly Sandwich look that I did another jelly sandwich mani, this time using another sheer base, OPI Coney Island Cotton Candy (CICT)! Again, this is two coats of CICT over NailTek Foundation II. CICT isn't a pink, but a skintone shade that didn't streak as much, probably due to OPI's AWESOME pro-wide brush. I swear, the pro-wide brush is a godsent for fat nails like mine.



This is one coat of a super colourful Aritaum glitter polish that I hauled back from Korea, the motherland of pretty glitter polishes!



Since the glitter was dense enough, I just layered on another two thin coats of CICT and one coat of SV and called it a day. GOSH, I just LOVE how the jelly sandwich turns the vibrant glitter into a pastel party! It's a totally different look!





Boy am I glad I finally found a way to way all my crazy glitter polishes to work! It's like having a secret party on my nails, subtle enough for work, but not totally boring!

Are you loving the jelly sandwich trend now? Do check out all these other posts on jelly sandwiches to get you fill your hunger!

Hannah (Polly Polish)
Jen (The Nail Polish Project)
Susy (Susy In Color)
Jenny (Beauty by Jenny)
Mara (Mara in Polishland)
Nail Tart
Salla (OMG Polish Em)
Jasmine
Deborah (Love Varnish)
Kat (Hooked on Polish)
Cassie (Sparkles Make Me Happy)
Pris (Pris Nails)
Julie (Time On My Nails)
Keisha (Refined & Polished)
Lynn (Oh So Lacquered)
Alexis (xoxo Alexis)
Cuti-CLUE-les
Mihaela
Stephanie (Sincerely Stephanie)
Heidi (Pretty Painted Nails)
Sabine (My Polish Stash)
A Lacquered Affair
Chiro (Nail of This Week)
Wendy (Wendy's Delights)
Charlotte (Charlotte's Nails)
Sophia (Unhas a Trois)
Laura (Polished Off)
Carolina(Colores de Carol)
Chrissy (Nailutopia)
Emma (Manicurity)
Ishah (Ishah x Beauty)
Esther (Fab Fingertips)
Kerrie (Pish Posh & Polish)

2 comments:

  1. Hannah aka Polly PolishJuly 18, 2012 at 12:35 AM

    Particularly love the second one - it's like cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hannah, and thank you for organising the Jelly Sandwich event!

    ReplyDelete